In the realm of salads, the Caesar salad stands as a timeless classic, celebrated for its crisp greens, savory croutons, and tangy dressing. However, there’s a culinary twist that elevates this beloved dish to new heights – the addition of a rich and nutty brown butter dressing.
Let’s dive into how to make this delicious Caesar salad with brown butter dressing. It’s a twist on the classic that you will love.
The Classic Caesar Foundation:
Before delving into the world of brown butter dressing, it’s crucial to appreciate the roots of the classic Caesar salad.
Created in the 1920s by chef Caesar Cardini in Tijuana, Mexico, this salad has become a symbol of simplicity and elegance.
The original combination of romaine lettuce, Parmesan cheese, croutons, and a creamy dressing has undergone various interpretations, each adding its own unique flair.
Crisp Romaine: The choice of romaine lettuce is central to the Caesar salad’s success. The robust and crisp nature of romaine provides a satisfying crunch that complements the other textures in the dish. The leaves are often torn into bite-sized pieces, inviting a tactile engagement with the salad.
Crunchy Croutons: A Caesar salad would be incomplete without the addition of croutons. These bite-sized, golden nuggets of toasted bread not only contribute to the salad’s texture but also absorb the dressing, ensuring a harmonious distribution of flavors.
Parmesan Power: Parmesan cheese, with its salty and umami-rich profile, is a key player in the Caesar salad ensemble. Shaved or grated, the cheese adds a layer of complexity and depth that enhances the overall experience.
The Brown Butter Dressing:
Now, let’s turn our attention to the twist on the traditional recipe and pièce de résistance – the brown butter dressing. Brown butter, or beurre noisette, is a culinary gem created by heating butter until its milk solids turn golden brown.
This process intensifies the buttery flavor, adding a rich and nutty dimension that transforms the Caesar salad into a culinary masterpiece.
The Art of Browning: Creating brown butter is a delicate process that requires patience and precision. Unsalted butter is melted over medium heat until it foams and the milk solids begin to brown. The resulting amber-hued liquid is then strained to remove the solids, leaving behind a velvety, nutty elixir.
When the classic Caesar foundation meets the elegant brown butter dressing, the result is amazing!
The best part about this salad is you can prep all the components ahead of time and then combine everything when you are ready to serve.
I like to wash and cut my romaine and store it in the fridge with a paper towel over it. This will keep the lettuce fresh and crisp.
Next you can prep the dressing and leave it out at room temperature. You don’t want to store it in the fridge or it will harden because of the butter.
Prep the croutons and shave the cheese.
When you are ready just toss everything together.
How To Make Caesar Salad With Brown Butter Dressing:
First start by prepping the romaine lettuce. Wash the lettuce thoroughly, cut into small pieces and then dry on a paper towel. If you are making this salad ahead of time store the lettuce in a container or ziplock bag with a paper towel covering the lettuce.
Next prep the croutons by dicing some rustic bread into 1 inch cubes. Drizzle with olive oil and garlic salt and toast in a hot pan until crispy.
Make the brown butter dressing. Cook the butter over medium heat until it foams and the milk solids begin to brown. Remove the butter and let cool slightly. Then add the white balsamic vinegar, lemon zest and salt.
Combine the lettuce with the lemon juice, croutons, shaved parmesan and then toss with desired amount of dressing.
Mini Caesar Salad Parmesan Cups:
If you love Caesar salad try this salad in edible Parmesan cheese cups. It is perfect for an elegant dinner party appetizer or make the bowls a little larger and serve as a first course.
No matter how you serve this salad up I know you will enjoy the delicious blends of flavors.
Caesar Salad With Brown Butter Dressing Recipe:
This delicioius take on the classic Ceasear will not dissapoint!
- 2 large heads Romaine Lettuce, washed and cut into small pieces
- 4 slices rustic bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic salt to taste
- 3/4 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon juiced
Brown Butter Dressing:
- 1/4 cup butter, browned until toasted
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar (use the one below it is amazing)
- 1 lemon zested
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Maldon salt to taste
- First start by prepping the romaine lettuce. Wash the lettuce thoroughly, cut into small pieces and then dry on a paper towel. If you are making this salad ahead of time store the lettuce in a container or ziplock bag with a paper towel covering the lettuce.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Drizzle the bread cubes with olive oil and garlic salt to taste and toast in a hot pan until crispy. Tossing occasionally to prevent burning.
- Make the brown butter dressing. Cook the butter over medium heat in a small saucepan until it foams and the milk solids begin to brown. Remove the butter and let cool slightly. Then add the white balsamic vinegar, lemon zest and salt.
- Place the lettuce in yor serving bowl. Squeeze the lemon on top of the lettuce.
- Add the croutons, shaved parmesan and then toss with desired amount of dressing.
- Top with freshly cracked black pepper and Maldon salt to taste.
Add delicious rosemary grilled chicken for some extra protein.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 553mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g