This easy chicken parmesan sandwich is so delicious and a great family friendly meal. The best part is you don’t have to use the traditional dredging station of a chicken parmesan. It is made the easy way and I promise it will become your favorite way.
This quick and easy chicken parmesan sandwich recipe is apart of the week 3 meal plan for dinners under $30 and less than 30 minutes. This dish is quick, family friendly and budget friendly.
Crispy pan fried chicken topped with a delicious tomato sauce and Italian cheeses all sandwiched in between toasted bread. A fresh touch of basil and you have the most delicious chicken parmesan the easy way.
The best part is this is an egg free chicken parm sandwich. There is also no traditional all purpose flour, egg, bread crumb dredge station. This egg free and flour free version can easily be made gluten free too! I will show you all the variations below.
I can’t wait for you to be making this delicious chicken sandwich next week. Here is what you need to make this recipe.
Ingredients For Chicken Parmesan Sandwich:
Simple high quality ingredients makes this dish delicious. Here is what you need for these sandwiches.
Chicken Breast: I like to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You want to make sure you cut the chicken breast in half lengthwise to create a thin chicken cutlet.
Panko Bread Crumbs: You can use regular panko bread crumbs or Italian style panko bread crumbs. You can also use Italian style panko bread crumbs or gluten free panko bread crumbs.
Rao’s Tomato Sauce: I love this brand. Rao’s is the closest you will get to a really good homemade tomato sauce. You can substitute for a different marinara sauce or use my homemade easy tomato sauce.
Italian Cheese Blend: I like to use shredded Italian cheese blend which is full of salty, nutty flavor. You can also use sliced provolone, mozzarella cheese or grated parmesan.
Basil: This adds a freshness to the sandwich. You can also add some fresh pesto for an added twist.
Good Crusty Rolls: I like to use a good crusty Italian roll or ciabatta rolls.
How To Make Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches:
Here are the simple steps to make homemade easy chicken parmesan sandwiches.
Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
Cut the chicken into half lengthwise to create thin slices of chicken.
Place the panko bread crumbs into a shallow bowl. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Dredge the chicken into the panko bread crumbs and press down to coat.
Add olive oil to the preheated pan. When the oil is hot sear the chicken until crispy and golden brown on both sides. Remove them to a wire rack.
Top the crispy chicken with large spoonful of tomato sauce making sure to coat the surface area.
Then top with the cheese.
Place the pan under the broiler to melt the cheese until it’s golden brown.
Drizzle the bread with some oil oil then place the bread on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler.
Spoon another spoonful of tomato sauce onto the toasted bread. Then top with the chicken parmesan and fresh basil and sandwich the bread together. Season with some finishing salt if desired and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Feel free to change up this recipe to fit your individual needs and preferences.
Change it up by adding different toppings to the sandwich like avocado, fresh arugula, lemon zest or balsamic glaze.
Or try topping the sandwich with a delicious homemade basil pesto.
Gluten Free Version:
To make this sandwich gluten free use a good gluten free roll. I like this option. You also want to use gluten free panko bread crumbs. This is my favorite brand.
Change Up The Bread:
Another great variation to this dish is to switch up the bread. You can use a yummy French bread garlic bread or cut thick slices of sourdough for a unique twist.
If feeling really adventurous try using a cheese bread for added flavor.
What to Serve With Chicken Parmesan:
Chicken Parmesan goes well with just about any side dish. Here are some delicious sides to serve with these sandwiches.
Chicken Parmesan Sandwich Recipe:
Chicken Paremsan Sandiwch the easy way!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into half or thirds lengthwise (depending on how large they are)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Olive Oil (to sear)
- 1 1/2 cups Raos Tomato Marinara
- 2 cups Italian cheese blend
- 6 Italian sub rolls
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cut the chicken into half lengthwise to create thin slices of chicken. Then cut the chicken in half to create 6 thin slices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the panko bread crumbs into a shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken into the panko bread crumbs and press down to coat.
- Add about 1/4 cup olive oil to the preheated pan. When the oil is hot sear the chicken until crispy and golden brown on both sides, about 5-6 minutes per side. You may need to add more oil when you flip the chicken.
- When the chicken is golden on both sides remove the chicken to a wire rack set on a baking sheet.
- Top the crispy chicken with a spoonful of tomato sauce.
- Then top with a couple of tablespoons of cheese.
- Place the pan under the broiler to melt the cheese until it's golden brown.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler until golden brown.
- When the bread is toasted spoon another spoonful of tomato sauce onto the bread. Sandwich the bread with the chicken parmesan and top with fresh basil.
- Season with some finishing salt if desired and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 925Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 2189mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 52g