If you are looking for a quick and easy make-ahead dessert to make for Easter, this one’s for you! This DIY ice cream cake recipe is the perfect way to have a stress-free Easter celebration.
Easter is around the corner and this fun and festive make-ahead Easter Ice Cream Cake is a tradition in our home. In fact, we have an ice cream cake for every holiday!
What I love about homemade ice cream cakes is that there is no baking involved. Plus they can be made ahead of time.
When you are celebrating holidays and have lots of recipes to make, having a couple recipes that you can make days in advance can help you to enjoy the holiday just a little bit more.
How to make an ice cream cake without cake:
To make ice cream cake without cake, you can simply replace a cake layer with crushed cookies. Genius! Cookies such as Oreos, coconut macaroons, or even vanilla wafers work great in ice cream cakes. There is no need to make a cake layer anymore!
If you prefer a cake layer, you can use pre-made brownies or a pound cake and crumble into small pieces for the “cake” layer.
Gluten-Free Ice Cream Cake:
Gluten-free? No problem! You can easily make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free cookies. My favorite gluten-free cookie for this recipe are almond horns. Make sure you check all the ingredients for this recipe and confirm that they are certified gluten-free.
Which pan should I use for an ice cream cake:
Making an ice cream cake is really quite easy, but one thing you will need is a springform pan. A springform pan allows you to easily remove the pan around the ice cream cake and it also helps to make cake cutting a lot easier.
How long does ice cream cake last:
Ice cream cake can last for up to a week in the freezer, if stored properly. Wrap the frozen cake in a layer of plastic wrap and then in a layer of foil to prevent freezer burn.
How to make ice cream cake at home:
Make-ahead desserts, like this Easter Ice Cream Cake, are perfect for your Easter celebration, and are a festive dessert option, too!
- 1 (14.3 ounce) Bag Macaroon Cookies
- 1.75 Quarts Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1.75 Quarts Rainbow Sherbet
- 1 Cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- Green Food Coloring
- Jelly Beans
- Peeps Candy
- Place the cookies in a large Ziploc bag. Remove the air and seal the bag. Crush with a rolling pin or large skillet until the cookies are crushed into small pieces.
- Pour half of the cookies into the bottom of a springform pan, reserving half for the center of the cake.
- Evenly scoop the vanilla ice cream on top of the cookies. Run a spoon under warm water and use the back of the spoon to spread the ice cream in one even layer.
- Top with the remaining cookies and spread evenly.
- Scoop even amounts of the sherbet on top of the cookies and spread out evenly (using the same warm spoon technique).
- Combine coconut with 2-3 drops of green food coloring in a small bowl and set aside for when you are ready to serve.
- Place the cake in the freezer for at least 1 hour, or until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, let sit for 5 minutes to slightly soften.
- Top with green coconut, jelly beans, and peeps.
- Slice the cake into 14 equal slices.
This can be made days in advance.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 477Trans Fat: 0g