This simple turkey chili recipe is easy to make and is packed with vegetables. It’s a great choice to fuel your family!
Now back to this chili!
Here are some FAQs about chili:
What makes the best chili?
What is the best meat for chili?
I have tested a variety of meat options in this healthy chili recipe and have concluded that I love the combination of sweet Italian chicken sausage and ground turkey.
If you are looking for a richer flavor, use ground beef and pork sausage instead.
Looking for a spicier meat? A hot Italian sausage should kick it up a notch for you.
How can I thicken my chili?
It’s important to add the right amount of liquid. If you add too much stock, your chili won’t be hearty and thick.
Adding beans as a thickener is a great way to get the thickness where you want because it doesn’t change the flavor! Simply puree ½ cup of canned beans and add that to your chili.
Do I drain beans for chili?
Yes! Canned beans come with a thick liquid that is a mixture of water, salt, and starch. It is best to rinse the beans of this liquid to not change the flavor of your dish.
What can you add to chili?
Chili is really a blank canvas, so use your imagination!
You can add different vegetables like pumpkin, squash, beets, or any other hearty vegetable. I also like to add different types of beans or meats.
What is the best secret ingredient for chili?
My secret ingredient for the best chili is smoked paprika. I love using smoked paprika because it adds a smoky flavor without a lot of effort.
How do I make chili?
It’s really quite easy and this chili recipe takes only about 30 minutes to make. A win any night of the week!
- 1 Pound Chicken Italian Sweet Sausage
- 1 Pound Ground Turkey
- ½ Cup Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Oregano
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ½ Cup Carrots, Shredded
- ½ Cup Zucchini, Shredded
- 1 (14.5) Ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (15) Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 (15.5) Ounce Can Cannellini Beans
- ½ Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- Sour Cream
- Corn chips
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- In a large stockpot, brown the sausage and ground turkey over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the onion powder, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir to combine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and let cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
You can also use spicy Italian sausage if you like your chili with some heat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.