This easy Instant Pot shredded beef barbacoa is perfect for shredded beef nachos and is a great quick dinner recipe! Grab a bag of chips and your favorite toppings for a fast family-friendly dinner.
Can I Make This In The Crockpot:
Instant Pot Basics:
Many people are intimidated of the Instant Pot. Have no fear, I am going to share some basics with you. If you want to read everything you need to know about the Instant Pot check out this Instant Pot Basics Post.
- You always need to add some sort of liquid to the insert to avoid a burn notice.
- Make sure you move the valve to the sealing position if you are wanting to cook and then carefully move the valve to the venting position when you are ready to release pressure. Just keep in mind that steam will be coming out of the valve when releasing so be careful as it cal burn you.
- Refer to the Instant Pot Cheat sheet for cooking times.
- Utilize the saute button to sear meat before pressurized cooking or after to thicken sauces.
Barbacoa Beef Ingredients:
- avocado oil
- beef chuck roast
- white onion
- kosher salt and black pepper
- garlic salt
- onion powder
- chipotle in adobo
- beef broth
How to serve Barbacoa beef:
What kind of meat is barbacoa:
How to make Instant Pot Shredded Beef Barbacoa:
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 2 Pounds Beef Chuck Roast
- 1/2 Cup White Onion, Diced
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chipotle Chili in Adobo, Roughly Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Beef Broth
For the Nachos:
- 1 Bag Tortilla Chips
- Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Avocado, Diced
- Pico De Gallo, Pre-Made
- Hot Sauce (I like Cholula)
- Green Onions, Sliced
- Cotija Cheese, Crumbled
- Turn your Instant Pot on sauté mode. Season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear the roast in the avocado oil in the Instant Pot until both sides are slightly browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Seal your Instant Pot lid, making sure your venting nozzle is turned to the seal position and cook on manual for 60 minutes.
- When meat is done, do the quick release method by (be careful of the steam, use a towel) by manually turning your nozzle to venting position. Shred the meat with two forks.
- Turn your oven on broil. Place tortilla chips on a lined baking sheet (spreading out evenly) and top with desired amount of cheese. Broil until cheese is melted (about 2 minutes).
- Top with shredded beef and your desired toppings.
*Cotija Cheese or Queso Fresca add an amazing flavor! Try it out and see if you like it!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.