Chunky Monkey Chocolate rolls are quick and easy with this no rise recipe. These rolls are filled with bananas and a rich chocolate center and topped with a creamy peanut butter cream cheese icing and crunchy walnuts and chocolate chips. They are soft, fluffy and deliciously decadent. The best chocolate cinnamon rolls!
Chunky Monkey chocolate rolls are made with a chocolaty, fluffy no rise dough. They are then stuffed with bananas, more chocolate and topped with a peanut butter cream cheese frosting. The best part is they take only about 45 minutes to make from start to finish!
We took the chunky monkey flavors of the infamous Ben and Jerry’s ice cream and stuffed it into a roll!
Here are some basic tips on how to make cinnamon rolls:
How to fill cinnamon rolls:
To fill cinnamon rolls, roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Smear the filling evenly in one layer covering all of the surface area of the dough.
How to cut cinnamon rolls:
Cut the rolls with a bench scraper, unflavored floss, fishing line or a sharp knife. If the rolls smash a little, just use your hands to make the rolls round again when placing them in your baking dish.
Rising the dough:
Typically yeast doughs need to rise once or even two time to double in size and to achieve a fluffy texture. This recipe is a no-rise recipe because we are using a lot of yeast! These rolls turn out fluffy and delicious every time without a significant rising time.
Make sure your cream cheese and butter are at room temperature:
Cold cream cheese will cause your frosting to be lumpy. Let it sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes, or you can even throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften.
How to make chocolate cinnamon rolls:
Making chocolate cinnamon rolls is quite easy.
To make chocolate cinnamon rolls dissolve the yeast in warm water with sugar.
Add the oil, eggs, bread flour and cocoa powder and knead in a stand mixer for 5 minutes.
Roll out the dough on a greased work surface, spread the filling onto the dough, roll into a log and cut into 16 large rolls.
Bake in the oven and then top with frosting.
Frostings that go well with chocolate cinnamon rolls:
Any frosting that goes well with chocolate will be great on chocolate cinnamon rolls. My go to frostings are peanut butter cream cheese frosting, chocolate frosting, raspberry cream cheese frosting and of course a traditional cream cheese frosting.
I hope you enjoy these chocolate cinnamon rolls with a chunky monkey twist! As always I would love to see them on Instagram. Just tag me in your post or stories using @moremomma. And if you are a fan of cinnamon rolls make sure you try out my no rise cinnamon rolls, caramel apple cinnamon rolls, almond rolls and boysenberry rolls.
How To Make Chunky Monkey Chocolate Rolls:
For The Dough:
- 2 Cups Warm Water
- 3 Tablespoons Dry Active Yeast
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil (+2 Tablespoons to smear on counter)
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Tablespoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Dark Cocoa Powder
- 5 1/4 Cup Bread Flour
- 3.9 Ounces Dry Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 4 Ripe Bananas, Mashed
- 1/2 Cup Butter, At Room Temperature
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese, At Room Temperature
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Almond Emulsion
- 1/3 Cup Chunky Peanut Butter
- 1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts, Chopped Fine
1. In an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix the first four ingredients together. Let sit for 10 minutes to activate yeast (yeast mixture should be foamy).
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and turn on low for 3-5 minutes until dough is silky (It will be a little sticky).
3. Spray or pour some oil into your hands to prevent sticking. Smear oil on counter. Roll the dough into a large rectangle about 1/4'' thick.
4. Combine all of the filling ingredients in a small bowl. Smear the filling mixture onto the dough all the way to the edges.
5. Starting on the end closest to your body, roll and pinch to form a seam. Continue to roll the dough until a long log forms.
6. Cut the log into 16 rolls (I like to cut the long roll in half and then cut each half into half again continuing this method until you have 16 pieces). Place the rolls in a greased baking pan (I use 2 9x11 pans).
7. Let rise 10 minutes while oven preheats to 400 degrees F. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven, cool slightly, top with cream cheese frosting (directions follow) and toppings.
1. In an electric mixer cream the butter and cream cheese together until well combined.
2. Add the powdered sugar and turn on to the lowest setting to avoid powdered sugar getting everywhere.
3. Add the almond emulsion and peanut butter and mix to combine. Spread the frosting over the rolls when they are still warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1 Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 203mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 5g
The nutritional values are not always accurate.