This easy baked vegan mac and cheese is rich, creamy, and cheesy without dairy and can be made gluten free as well. Kids and adults alike will LOVE this mac and cheese!
I can’t wait for you to try out this baked vegan mac and cheese recipe. It’s also gluten free and soy free! And totally tastes just like the real mac and cheese.
If you follow me on the Gram you know I just went dairy free for my daughter who is highly sensitive to it. My older son had the same issue, so I have some yummy dairy free recipes up my sleeve and want to share them with you all!
This is one of my favorites. You can’t even tell it’s dairy free. The key is the yummy BBQ flavored crunchy crust on top! You can change it up by adding your favorite dairy free chip as well!
Dairy free cheese:
I love making this dairy free cheese! It’s actually made with vegetables and cashews and a little nutritional yeast. You can also find pre-made dairy free cheese sauce at most grocery stores, but I love being in control of the ingredients.
How to make baked vegan mac and cheese:
- 1 Cup Carrots, Chopped 1 Inch Pieces
- 1 Cup Potatoes, Peeled, Chopped 1 Inch Pieces
- 1/2 Cup White Onion, Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Can (13.5 OZ) Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Pound Cavatappi Pasta, Cooked or your favorite gluten free pasta
- 1 Cup BBQ Flavored PopCorners Chips or Other BBQ Chip, Crunched Up
- Place carrots, potatoes, onion, garlic, coconut milk, water, cashews and salt in a saucepan on medium heat. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- With an immersion blender or regular blender, blend the sauce mixture until smooth (If using a regular blender make sure you cool slightly and let the steam release from the blender). Add the nutritional yeast and blend again until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook pasta to package directions. Drain the pasta and combine with sauce and place in a baking dish. Top with crunched up chips and bake for 10 minutes.
* If you are making this ahead of time, leave off the chips, cook to reheat and then top with the chips at the end.