These Instant Pot garlic mashed potatoes are quick to make and deliciously creamy.
Garlic mashed potatoes are easy to make in the Instant Pot. The best part is you can make them ahead of time for holidays like Thanksgiving. Use the warm mode to keep them warm until you are ready to enjoy them.
Most garlic mashed potato recipes call for raw chopped garlic. Or sometimes roasted garlic is used. I like to use a secret ingredient instead.
The secret ingredient for these Instant Pot mashed potatoes is Boursin Cheese. Boursin cheese is a flavored soft cheese. There are different flavors, but my favorite and the best flavor for these garlic mashed potatoes is the garlic and herb flavor.
Boursin cheese adds a rich creaminess and a big punch of flavor. If you can’t find boursin cheese you can also use a flavored cream cheese.
What potatoes to use for mashed potatoes:
Many varieties of potatoes work well for mashed potatoes. Some of the best potatoes to use for mashed potatoes are yukon gold or red potatoes. Stay away from baking potatoes such as russet potatoes as they will absorb a lot more water when cooking.
The yukon gold or red potatoes have thin skin so you don’t even have to peel them if you don’t mind some texture.
How to cook mashed potatoes in the instant pot:
1: Wash the potatoes. Cut the potatoes in 1 inch chunks
2: Place thee potatoes into the instant pot with 1 cup water.
3: Seal with the lid and move the valve to the sealing position. Turn on manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
4: Manually release pressure and add flavorings of choice.
5: Add cream and mash with a potato masher or use a hand mixer.
6: Add salt and pepper to taste.
How to make mashed potatoes ahead of time:
Cook the mashed potatoes according to recipe directions. Turn the instant pot on warming mode and cover with the lid.
As the mashed potatoes sit they will absorb the liquid and get thicker. You may need to add some fresh cream or milk to thin the potatoes when you are ready to serve.
Are mashed potatoes gluten free:
Most mashed potato recipes are gluten free. Always check the ingredients to make sure there is no hidden gluten.
Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes:
- 6 Pounds White Potatoes, Washed, Peeled And Diced in 1 Inch Cubes
- 1-1/2 Cup Cream or Milk + More If Needed When Reheating
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Block Boursin Cheese (Garlic and Herb Flavor)
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt or Salt to Taste
- Wash the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into 1 inch chunks.
- Place the potatoes into the Instant Pot with one cup water.
- Seal with the lid. Move the valve to sealing and turn on manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Manually release the pressure and add butter and Boursin cheese.
- Add the cream and mash with a potato masher or use a hand mixer for a smoother consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
To make ahead:
Keep the mashed potatoes on the warming function in the Instant pot.