If you are looking for the perfect make ahead breakfast idea for your family I have just the recipe for you: Bran Muffins! These healthy bran muffins can be morphed into a variety of different flavors for the whole family and can be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks.
My mom used to make these bran muffins once a month so we could have a hot breakfast on the go before school. I loved when she added mini chocolate chips or blueberries to the top to give variety.
These are also great to make a large batch and freeze. If you want to make them for the freezer I suggest flash freezing them on a baking sheet and then pop the frozen muffins into a large freezer bag. That way the muffins won’t stick together.
How to store muffin batter in the fridge:
I store my batter in an air tight resealable container. You can also store the batter in a bowl and place a layer of saran wrap on top so no film will form on the top.
The batter will last up to two weeks in the fridge. Just make sure you check the expiration date of the buttermilk and make sure it will not go bad before the two weeks are up.
What other flavors can I make with this recipe:
I love this recipe because I use it as a base and add mix ins to change it up. Here are some of my favorite flavors:
Banana: Add 1 mashed banana and 1 additional teaspoon ground cinnamon
Blueberry: Add 1/2 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
Chocolate Chip: Add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Carrot Cake: Add 1 cup finely shredded carrots, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or raisins and 1 additional teaspoon ground cinnamon
Zucchini: Add 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
You can pop one out and wrap it in a wet paper towel and then microwave for 20-30 seconds or until warmed through.
How to make refrigerator bran muffins:
This recipe is a simple dump and stir kind of recipe. You will simply combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients together and then bake them up.
I can’t wait to see how you enjoy these muffins and what flavors you come up with. If you are a fan of make ahead breakfasts try my How to Make Your Own Daily Harvest Smoothies.
Make Ahead Refrigerator Bran Muffins
Keep the batter in the refrigerator for up to two weeks to have fresh muffins on hand.
- 1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Coconut Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups Buttermilk
- 2 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 ½ Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups All-Bran Cereal
- 1 Cup 100% Bran Flakes
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Frozen Blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix together sugar, oil, eggs, and buttermilk. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and All-Bran. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine bran flakes with boiling water and let sit for 1 minute. Add the mixture to the rest of the ingredients, along with the vanilla and cinnamon. Mix to combine.
- Line a cupcake pan with paper liners and fill each liner two-thirds full with batter. Add optional chocolate chips or frozen blueberries to the tops.
- Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until muffins are cooked through.
Store the batter in an air-tight container for up to two weeks in the fridge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.