Microwave spaghetti squash is so versatile and delicious. Let’s dive into learning how to make perfect spaghetti squash in the microwave.
Microwave spaghetti squash is the perfect way to cook this delicious vegetable. Spaghetti squash is a low carb vegetable that mimics the texture of spaghetti when cooked.
The flesh of the vegetable shreds and can be a great substitute for pasta. Mix the shredded squash with fresh pesto, chicken and Italian cheese blend for a delicious Italian spaghetti squash recipe.
Spaghetti Squash Nutritional Information:
So we know it’s the ultimate low carb pasta alternative, but how many carbs are in spaghetti squash?
Spaghetti squash has 42 grams of carbs per cup. It is also high in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. For a complete nutritional analysis check out this article.
How to Use Spaghetti Squash:
You can cook spaghetti squash in a variety of different methods. The quickest and safest in my opinion is cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave.
Some other methods include cooking in the Instant Pot or in the oven. Both are great, but take a lot longer than in the microwave.
How To Cook Spaghetti Squash In The Microwave:
Cooking spaghetti squash doesn’t really require a recipe, but I do want to walk you through the steps. There are some very important steps for effective cooking.
- Carefully poke hole with a knife over the whole surface area of the spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash is a very hard squash and unless you have a very sharp knife it can be dangerous to cut. This will ensure that the squash can properly release steam and not explode in the microwave. This is the most important step in cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave.
- Microwave the squash for 8-12 minutes. The cooking time will depend on how large your squash is. For smaller squash cook for 8 minutes. For larger squash cook for 10-12 minutes. The squash should feel soft to the touch when cooked.
- Remove the squash with hot pads. The steam will be releasing from the holes of the squash and can cause a not so fun burn so just be sure to remove the squash with hot pads.
- Slice the squash in half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds with a fork.
- Use the fork to scrape the flesh of the squash.