Homemade sourdough bagels are my new favorite way to use my sourdough starter! These bagels are soft, fluffy and topped with a variety of toppings. Change them up and make them your own.
Sourdough bagels are the ultimate breakfast or brunch food. Serve them with cream cheese or butter, or use them as a delicious vessel for a breakfast sandwich or lox board.
Either way you will wow your family or guests with this homemade bagel recipe.
And the best part is this recipe is easy to make. This sourdough bagel recipe is made overnight. Which means you can have warm, fresh bagels when you wake up. I would say that is a pretty good way to start the day.
Other Sourdough Favorites:
If you like this sourdough bagel recipe try some other delicious sourdough recipes. Check out my sourdough cinnamon rolls or Sourdough Donuts With 4 Flavor Options for a delicious breakfast. Or my Sourdough Starter Pizza Dough Recipe for a delicious dinner.
However, if you need any help with your sourdough starter you can check out the More Momma Sourdough Class! Chef Eva, the class instructor covers everything from how to make a sourdough starter to troubleshooting and easy recipes. She created this recipe and has everything you need to know about sourdough in the class.
Lastly, if you ever have questions about your sourdough, leave a comment in the comment section at the end of the blog post. I am here to help you!
So are you ready to sink your teeth into a homemade bagel?
Let’s get started!
Scroll down for the video tutorial where you can make this recipe with me.
How to Make Sourdough Bagels:
Make the poolish:
A poolish is a sourdough bread wet sponge that sits for 8-12 hours before adding the rest of the ingredients. It is used to help with the breads extensibility. To make the poolish, combine the bubbly active sourdough starter with water, flour and sugar.
Cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight.
A quick note: Make sure your sourdough starter is at room temperature and bubbly. If you store your starter in the refrigerator leave it out at room temperature for a couple of hours.
Make the bagel dough:
The next morning add the poolish to a stand mixer. Add the oil, dry milk, salt and flour. Knead the dough for 5-8 minutes with a dough hook. The dough should come off the sides of the bowl.
Now is the time to change up the flavors, if desired. Make cinnamon raisin bagels, chocolate chip bagels, or pumpkin by adding the ingredients below. Knead the ingredients into the dough for 30 seconds or until well combined.
- Cinnamon Raisin Bagels: add 1 cup raisins, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Chocolate Chip Bagels: add 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pumpkin: add 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
Let the Dough Rise:
Transfer the dough to a bowl and cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for 1-2 hours or until fluffy and almost doubled in size.
Cut The Dough:
Next place the dough on a clean work surface. Cut the dough with a bench scraper into 18 equal portions.
Roll Into 12 Inch Logs:
Use a ruler as your guide and roll the logs into 12 inch logs. Try to form the logs so that they are even in thickness. This will help the bagels to cook evenly.
Shape the Bagels:
Shape the bagels by pinching the two ends together. Place your hand inside the middle of the bagel (seam side down) on the counter. Roll slightly to seal the two ends together.
Rise for 30 minutes on a parchment lined sheet pan.
Boil the Bagels:
Place the bagels in boiling water with 1 tablespoon molasses. Cook just on one side for 30 seconds. Remove the bagels from the boiling water with a slotted spoon.
Top the Bagels:
Top the bagels with toppings of choice. Bagel topping ideas are listed below in the topping section.
Bake the bagels at 500 F for 10 minutes and then lower the oven to 475 F and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Let the bagels cool before enjoying.
- Cheddar Cheese
- Jalapeno Cheese
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Sesame Seed
- Chocolate Chip
- Cinnamon Raisin
Storage and Freezing:
These bagels are perfect to freeze. The recipe makes 18 bagels which in our family will last quite some time. The best part is you can store them in freezer safe ziplock bags and freeze for up to three months.
When you are ready to enjoy the bagels thaw them by placing them in the microwave.
Microwave for 30 seconds, slice in half and then toast in the toaster. Spread with cream cheese, butter, jam or use for a bagel sandwich. There are endless possibilities.
Sourdough Bagels Recipe:
Perfectly fluffy bagels cooked to perfection and topped with toppings of your choice. The perfect breakfast.
The Night Before:
- 4 cups bread flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup starter, brought to room temp if refrigerated
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
The Next Day:
- ½ cup dry milk
- ¼ cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 4 ½ -5 cups bread flour
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Everything but the bagel seasoning
- sesame seeds
- shredded cheddar cheese
- pickled jalapeno
- Kosher Salt
- poppy seeds
- Make the poolish by adding the sourdough starter, water, bread flour and sugar to a bowl. Let sit at room temperature overnight or for 8-12 hours.
- Add the mixture to a stand mixer (the next morning or after 8-12 hours).
- Add the dry powdered milk.
- Add the oil.
- Add the salt.
- Add the bread flour and mix on low. Knead for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from the bowl.
- Place in a bowl and cover to rise for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the risen dough to a clean work surface.
- Form the dough into a large rectangle (about 6 X 15). Cut the dough into 1 inch strips with a bench scraper. Then cut the strips in half.
- Use a ruler as a guide and roll the strips into 12 inch logs. Seal the two ends together and with your hand in the middle of the dough, roll slightly.
- Place the bagels on a parchment lined baking sheet. Rise for 30 minutes.
- Add the water to a large shallow pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add the molasses and stir to combine.
- Place the bagels into the water and cook for 30 seconds on one side.
- With a slotted spoon remove the bagels and place (cooked side up) on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Top with toppings of choice.
- Cook at 500 F for 10 minutes (in the middle rack of the oven).
- Let cool and serve with cream cheese or butter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.