Classic chicken noodle soup is on repeat at my house during cold and flu season. I love a warm bowl of soup to make me feel better and this classic recipe hits the spot.
The key to a good homemade classic chicken noodle soup is a good stock. Chicken stock or bone broth is packed with healthy nutrients that can help get you on the road to recovery. You can make your own stock or buy a good quality stock as well.
How to make your own chicken stock:
If you want to make your own simply place a chicken carcass (remove the meat) into a large stockpot. Fill the stockpot with cold water to cover the chicken and then add 1 onion cut in half (you can leave the skin on), a couple celery stalks, 2-3 carrots cut into large pieces, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, herbs of choice and 2 teaspoons sea salt.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 2-3 hours or use the Instant Pot and cook on manual for 2 hours. Once your stock is done you can strain it through a fine mesh strainer and use the stock accordingly.
What type of chicken to use for chicken noodle soup:
I like to use rotisserie chicken for this chicken noodle soup recipe. It makes the cooking go much quicker and it is already packed with flavor. The chicken tends to be more tender as well.
What type of noodle to use for chicken noodle soup:
You can use any noodle you would like. I like to use macaroni or even a fresh homemade pasta if you have time. Any noodle will do.
What to use to flavor chicken noodle soup:
Add flavor by using fresh herbs like dill or parsley. I also like to add lemon zest on occasion as well. The main source of flavor with be from your stock so make sure you use a high quality chicken stock or a homemade option.
If you love this recipe try my Chicken Tortilla Soup!
The Best Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe:
This really is the best chicken noodle soup that feeds your soul.
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 1 Cup White Onion, Diced Small
- 2 Cups Celery, Diced Small
- 2 Cups Carrots, Diced Small
- 2 Cups Rotisserie Chicken, Shredded
- 2 (32 ounce) Containers Chicken Bone Broth or Chicken Stock
- 1 (8 ounce) Bag Pappardelle Noodles or Noodle of Choice
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- Preheat a large dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add the oil and onions and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rotisserie chicken and chicken stock, and bring to a simmer. Add the noodles and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into your serving bowls.
This is a great meal to make on and freeze one. You can freeze extra soup in soup containers (listed below) or for individual servings you can freeze in paper cups.
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS:
1. Saute carrots onions and celery on saute mode with oil for 5 minutes.
2. Add chicken and chicken stock and salt and pepper. Seal and cook on manual (for new versions press pressure cooker) high pressure for 10 minutes.
3. When time is up manually release pressure by moving the valve to venting.
4. Turn the Instant Pot on saute mode and add noodles. Boil for 6-8 minutes until the noodles are cooked through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 750mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 25g