Need a Thanksgiving dessert recipe that is not a pie? Try this easy Gluten Free Ice Cream Cake flavored with Pumpkin and Gingersnap.
We have a couple gluten free guests at every Thanksgiving and a few that just hate pie so this gluten free pumpkin gingersnap ice cream cake is the perfect easy, make ahead, gluten free Thanksgiving dessert that will please everyone!
Ice cream cake is a tradition in our family. We have different variations for various holidays and birthdays and it’s probably my favorite dessert to make because I can make it in advance.
Some tips when making ice cream cake:
Use a springform pan!
And a good one at that! Using a springform pan is a must for this recipe. It allows you to cut the cake easily and holds everything together. Make sure you have a good, high quality springform pan so the ice cream doesn’t leak. I like this pan that is relatively inexpensive and is leak proof.
Leave your ice cream out for 5 minutes before making the cake.
Nothing is worse than trying to scoop rock hard ice cream! Just leave it out for 5 minutes to become a little soft. You can also throw it in the microwave for 20 seconds as well.
Keep a cup of hot water near by or run your spoon under hot water to spread the ice cream out evenly.
This will help create a single layer and helps to create a more cohesive cake. The heat from the spoon will help to spread the ice cream evenly. Just dab the spoon off on a paper towel to trap any excess moisture before you spread the ice cream.
Freeze for at least 2 hours to harden.
You can certainly eat it right away if you don’t have time, but I would really recommend letting it harden in the freezer for at least 2 hours. The beauty of this cake is that you can make it way in advance.
You ready to make this amazing gluten free, no bake Thanksgiving dessert?
Gluten Free Pumpkin Gingersnap Ice Cream Cake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Additional Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
The perfect no bake, make ahead, gluten free no pie Thanksgiving dessert!
- 9 Ounces Gluten Free Ginger Snap Cookies
- 1.5 Quarts Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1.5 Quarts Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Caramel Sauce
- 5 Skor Bars, Roughly Chopped
- Place the ginger snaps in a large Ziploc Bag and remove the air, then seal the baggie.
- With a rolling pin or large skillet, smash the cookies to create small crumbs.
- Place half of the crumbs in the bottom of a springform pan.
- Evenly scoop the vanilla ice cream on top of the cookie crumbs. Run a spoon under hot water. Using the back of the spoon, spread the ice cream to create one even layer.
- Top with the other half of the cookie crumbs.
- Evenly scoop the pumpkin ice cream on top of the cookie crumbs. Run the spoon under hot water again and spread the ice cream to create one even layer.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce and top with Skor bar pieces.
- Place in the freezer until you are ready to serve.
It works best if you leave your ice cream out for 5 minutes to become a little soft.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe is in my Thanksgiving Guide. If you need help planning, coordinating or executing the perfect Thanksgiving dinner you can grab it here. This recipe is in there too!