Asian pork ribs in the Instant Pot are succulent and fall off the bone tender. They take less than 45 minutes to make and are the perfect way to serve pork ribs with a twist.
These Asian pork ribs are cooked to perfection in the Instant Pot until the meat is falling off the bone.
Then they are basted with a delicious homemade Asian BBQ sauce and placed under the broiler for a few minutes to get nice and caramelized.
Serve them with an Asian slaw and you got a delicious, restaurant worthy meal on the table in less than an hour.
This recipe is near and dear to my heart. When I worked at the restaurant consulting company I was tasked to re-create an Asian rib recipe from a restaurant down in Orange County, California. The ribs were so tender and slathered with a sweet and spicy Asian BBQ sauce.
So I went back to work in the test kitchen testing out many different BBQ sauces and ways to prepare the ribs.
This is the recipe I came up with and they taste just like the ribs from the restaurant.
They aren’t your stereotypical ribs, but they are so unique and a great variation when you are feeling a little adventurous.
Type Of Ribs:
For this recipe we use pork baby back ribs. You can also use a St. Luis style pork rib.
I prefer the baby back ribs because they are a little smaller and easier to eat. They become a little more tender and are great for an appetizer or main dish.
To properly prepare ribs you will need to do some prep work.
You will need to remove the silver skin from the back portion of the rib rack to ensure they become tender. The silver skin can be tough.
Reference this picture below for where the silver skin is located.
To remove this tough tendon you will need a sharp pairing knife.
Start by peeling off the tendon at one end of the ribs.
Slowly pull up the tendon, using your pairing knife as needed to separate it from the bone. It should come off in one piece. If not, just take the pairing knife again and pull up the remaining portion of the tendon.
Asian BBQ Sauce:
This Asian style BBQ sauce is where the true magic happens. The sauce is only a few ingredients, but so full of flavor. It’s so easy to make and goes good on just about anything.
You can serve this Asian BBQ sauce on grilled chicken or baste it on top of pork tenderloin, steak or grilled shrimp.
For the BBQ sauce we use an ingredients called Gochujang.
What is Gochujang:
Gochujang is a Korean spicy fermented red chili paste. It has a savory, sweet, and spicy flavor and is thick and sticky, making for the perfect base to a BBQ sauce.
You can find Gochujang in most major grocery stores in the Asian food section. You can also find it at Asian markets as well.
How To Make Asian Ribs In Instant Pot:
Remove the silver skin from the back of the ribs.
Season with Chinese five spice and salt.
Pour water in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the rack in the Instant Pot and place the ribs around the rack in a C shape.
Turn on manual high pressure for 25 minutes.
Make the BBQ sauce.
Remove the ribs from the Instant Pot and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
Baste with BBQ sauce and place under the broiler for 5 minutes.
Baste again with BBQ sauce and serve.
Asian Pork Ribs In Instant Pot Recipe:
Succulent, and mouthwatering ribs with an Asian twist.
- 2 1/2 pound rack baby back ribs
- 1 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4. cup gochujang sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- (optional) sesame seeds to top
Carrot Cabbage Slaw:
- 4 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Remove the silver skin from the back of the ribs (refer to the video if needed)
- Season the ribs with the Chinese five spice and salt on both sides.
- Pour water in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the rack in the Instant Pot and place the ribs around the rack in a "C" shape.
- Move the valve to the "sealing" position.
- Turn on manual high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When the ribs are done, manually release the pressure by turning the vent to "venting" mode.
- Combine the Gochujang and ketchup. Set aside.
- Remove the ribs from the Instant Pot and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Slather the ribs with the sauce and place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes or until caramelized.
- Top with extra sauce and sesame seeds. Serve with carrot cabbage slaw (recipe below),
Carrot Cabbage Slaw:
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, and salt. Bring to a.simmer to dissolve the sugar and salt. Let cool slightly.
- Place the cabbage and carrots in a large bowl and top with vinegar mixture. Toss to combine.
- Place in the fridge for at least 10 minutes or until ready to serve. Strain excess liquid from mixture prior to serving.
Cover the seasoned ribs in aluminum foil and cook at 300 F for 2 1/2 hours. Remove from the foil and continue directions 5-8.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.