These Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe will be your new favorite.
When it comes to classic comfort desserts, chocolate chip cookies hold a special place in the hearts and taste buds of many. The mere mention of these sweet delights evokes warm memories of home, freshly baked treats, and the aroma that fills the kitchen.
While there are countless chocolate chip cookie recipes out there, the Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe stands out as a timeless favorite, delivering a perfect balance of chewiness and crispiness that captures the essence of this beloved treat.
These cookies hold their texture and are fluffy and soft.
The Crisco Difference:
The secret to the exceptional texture and flavor of Crisco chocolate chip cookies lies in the use of Crisco, a vegetable shortening brand that has been a staple in kitchens for over a century.
Crisco not only imparts a distinct richness to the cookies but also contributes to their soft and tender consistency.
I use buttered flavored Crisco for a delicious buttery flavor. You can also use regular Crisco.
Ingredients You Will Need:
Butter Flavored Crisco All-Vegetable Shortening: The star of the show, buttered flavored Crisco shortening, adds a unique texture to the cookies, ensuring they remain soft on the inside while developing a delightful crispiness on the edges. You can find any butter flavored shortening.
Brown Sugar and Granulated Sugar: The combination of brown sugar and granulated sugar provides sweetness and moisture to the cookies. Brown sugar, with its molasses content, adds a subtle caramel flavor. Use light brown sugar.
Vanilla Extract or Paste: Vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor profile, imparting a warm and comforting aroma to the cookies. If you can use vanilla bean paste it has a concentrated vanilla flavor.
Eggs: Eggs act as a binding agent, contributing to the structure and richness of the cookies. I like to use room temperature eggs.
All-Purpose Flour: All-purpose flour serves as the base, giving the cookies structure while allowing them to maintain a soft and chewy texture.
Baking Soda: Baking soda is the leavening agent that helps the cookies rise, creating a tender and fluffy interior.
Baking Powder: Also used for leavening and texture.
Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the sweetness and balances the flavors in the cookie dough.
Chocolate Chips: The star inclusion – chocolate chips add pockets of gooey, melty chocolate goodness to every bite. I like to use semi sweet chocolate chips. You can also use milk chocolate chips.
Baking Steps for Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookies:
Follow these step by step directions for making homemade chocolate chip cookies made with Crisco.
Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Cream Crisco and Sugars:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together 1 cup of Crisco, 1 cup of brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Make sure you stir by hand.
Add Vanilla and Eggs:
- Stir in 2 large eggs and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste and mix until well combined.
Add The Dry Pudding Mix:
- Add in the dry pudding mix and stir until combined.
Combine Dry Ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1teaspoon of salt.
Gradually Add Dry Ingredients:
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
Fold in Chocolate Chips:
- Gently fold in 2 cups of chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the cookie dough.
Refrigerate The Dough For At Least 1 hour.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
Drop Cookies onto Baking Sheets:
- Drop about 2-3 tablespoons of cookie dough into your hand and create a dough ball. Place them onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving enough space between each cookie.
Bake to Perfection:
- Bake in the preheated oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. The centers may still appear slightly undercooked but will continue to set as they cool.
Cool and Enjoy:
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely. Once cooled, indulge in the irresistible goodness of Crisco chocolate chip cookies.
Why Choose Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookies?
- The use of Crisco shortening ensures a perfect balance of soft and chewy with a slight crispiness – the ideal texture for chocolate chip cookies.
- The classic combination of brown sugar, vanilla, and gooey chocolate chips creates a flavor profile that stands the test of time.
- Crisco chocolate chip cookies are a versatile canvas. Feel free to experiment with different chocolate chip varieties, nuts, or even a sprinkle of sea salt on top for a gourmet touch. Check below for four different flavor ideas.
- The reliable nature of this recipe, coupled with Crisco’s consistency, guarantees that your cookies will turn out delectable every time.
The great thing about this recipe is you can use the base dough (the cookie dough minus the chocolate chips) and then change up the cookie with different toppings or mix ins.
Peanut Butter Cookie: Add 2 tablespoons peanut butter to the batter. Then add mini Reeses cups in the center of the cookie right after they come out of the oven.
Smores: Mix in mini marshmallows, graham crackers, and milk chocolate chunks.
Monster: Mix in mini M&M’s, pretzels, potato chips and some rolled oats.
Dulce De Leche: Stuff the cookie with canned dulce de leche.
No Matter how you make these cookies they are always a winner.
Freezing and Storage:
The best thing about this recipe is you can make the dough ahead of time, portion out the dough balls and place them in a freezer bag. Freeze the cookie dough until you are ready to make them.
Cook the chewy chocolate chip cookies straight from the freezer. Just add 1-2 minutes more baking time.
To store the cooked cookies place them in an air tight container and store at room temperature for up to three days.
You can also store the cooked cookies in the freezer in a freezer safe ziplock for up to 3 months. Pull out a cookie whenever you are craving one!
Other Delicious Cookie Recipes:
If you love cookies try these other delicious recipes.
The Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe is more than just a baking tradition; it’s a delightful journey back to the essence of homemade treats.
As you savor each bite of these perfectly textured cookies, you’re not just enjoying a sweet indulgence – you’re relishing the warmth and comfort that comes with a timeless recipe crafted with care and quality.
So, gather your ingredients, preheat that oven, and embark on a delicious adventure that promises to create sweet memories with every mouthful.
Crisco Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
Thick, gooey, soft chocolate chip cookies from scratch!
- 1 Cup Butter Flavored Crisco
- 1 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste or Vanilla Extract
- 3.4 Ounce Box Dry Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ Cups Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Crisco with sugars with a silicone spatula. Mix until the batter is completely combined and creamy.
- Add one egg at a time, stirring in between. Make sure the mixture is completely combined and the batter becomes a soft tan color with no lumps of Crisco.
- Add the vanilla extract and pudding mix. Mix to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Place the dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop out large balls of dough, about ¼ cup, onto the baking sheet (I like to use this scoop), leaving space in between each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven. Let sit for 5 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g
This information is not always completely accurate.