Have you ever had an Instant Pot lava cake? It’s a rich, chocolatey cake with a molten center. Instant pot lava cake is even easier to make and it comes out perfectly every time.
Instant Pot lava cake is my new obsession friends! Because you make these lava cakes in the Instant Pot they come out perfect every time.
As a teenager I used to go to my neighborhood chilis to share a dessert with friends on Friday nights. Chilis molten lava cake is topped with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and caramel sauce and it’s pretty dang good! The best part is I made an at home version in the instant pot.
This copycat chilis molten lava cake that is just as good and can be transformed with different flavor combinations. It can even be made gluten free!
The best part about this instant pot molten lava cake recipe is it can be made in the oven, in the instant pot and even in the air fryer. I love making a double batch and freezing them for when I need a quick an easy dessert for company or if I want to make it a couple days in advance. It’s the perfect recipe for a date night in. What can be better than molten lava cake for two?
Chocolate lava cake can be kept in the freezer for when you have a chocolate craving. Just pop them directly in the instant pot, oven or air fryer to cook and you have a quick dessert in minutes.
Can I make chocolate lava cake gluten free?
Yes! You can easily switch out the all purpose flour for a good gluten free 1-1 flour. My favorite 1-1 flour is Bob’s Red Mill cup for cup flour.
Can you fill chocolate lava cakes?
Some of my favorite molten lava cakes have a filling in the center. Because the filling is molten, you can literally fill the lava cakes with so many different filling varieties. Here are some of my favorite filling ideas for molten lava cakes:
- Peanut butter: mix 4 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Nutella: mix 4 tablespoons Nutella, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Biscoff butter: mix 4 tablespoons Biscoff, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Cookie dough: use 1 tablespoon premade cookie dough
- Jams: mix 4 tablespoons jam of choice, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Other flavors: You can infuse sweetened condensed milk with any extract of choice
If you are looking to infuse the cakes with different flavors you can freeze flavored sweetened condensed milk in ice cube trays (it won’t freeze all the way through) scoop out the condensed milk and place in the middle of the cakes (making sure the ice cube is covered) and then bake. You can flavor the sweetened condensed milk with different extracts or flavorings of your choice.
Toppings for Chocolate Lava Cakes:
You can top the cakes with a variety of different toppings. Here are some of my favorites.
- vanilla ice cream
- chocolate shell sauce
- chocolate fudge sauce
- caramel sauce
- powdered sugar
- fresh berries
Can you make molten lava cakes ahead of time:
Yes! You can! Just follow the recipe and then freeze the ramekins before cooking. When you are ready to enjoy the lava cakes follow the “from freezer directions” in the recipe below.
Is molten lava cake raw?
Molten lava cakes are gooey in the center. This happens from the make up of the batter. The gooey center can be eaten safely. If you are worried you can always use pasteurized eggs in the batter.
How to make instant pot lava cake:
We love using the instant pot in the More Momma House. Some of our favorite instant pot recipes are Instant Pot Beef Stew in Puff Pastry Cups and Instant Pot Barbacoa Shredded Beef Nachos. You can always check out my Instagram to see the latest instant pot recipes I’m creating.
Instant pot lava cake recipe:
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 4 1/2 Ounces Dark Chocolate, Chopped Fine
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Almond Emulsion or 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tablespoons Flour (plus extra for ramekins)
1. Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds on high. Add the chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted.
2. Place the chocolate and butter mixture into a mixing bowl and add the powdered sugar through a fine mesh strainer to catch any lumps. Stir to combine.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring in between to completely combine before adding the next egg.
4. Add the almond emulsion or vanilla extract and the flour and stir to combine.
5. Butter your ramekins. Then pour about 1 tablespoon flour or cocoa powder into the ramekins and rotate to coat the ramekin. Remove excess flour. Fill your ramekins 2/3 rd’s the way up with batter and either freeze or cook (directions follow).
From Freezer In Instant Pot: Add 1 cup water to the Instant Pot and add a rack. Place the ramekins straight from the freezer into the insert on top of the rack. Seal the lid and make sure the valve is turned to the sealing position. Cook on manual, high pressure for 11 minutes. Do the quick release method by manually turning the valve to venting and let cool for 2 minutes. Invert onto a plate, top with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and fresh berries.
Not Frozen In Instant Pot: Add 1 cup water to the Instant Pot and add a rack. Place the ramekins straight from the freezer into the insert on top of the rack. Seal the lid and make sure the valve is turned to the sealing position. Cook on manual, high pressure for 9 minutes. Do the quick release method by manually turning the valve to venting and let cool for 2 minutes. Invert onto a plate, top with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and fresh berries.
From Freezer to Oven: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes and invert onto a plate. Top with vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and fresh berries.
Make sure your ramekins are well buttered and floured.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.