Brazilian cheese bread, also known as “pão de queijo,” is a popular snack in Brazil that is made with tapioca flour, cheese, and eggs. And this Brazilian cheese bread in the Instant Pot is the perfect way to change up the traditional dish.
Pão de queijo or Brazilian cheese bread has a soft and chewy texture, with a delicious cheesy flavor that is hard to resist. And Brazilian cheese bread in the Instant Pot is easy to make and a great way to use your Instant Pot.
One of the best things about Brazilian cheese bread is that it is incredibly easy to make, especially if you have an Instant Pot.
This recipe originates from the The No Shop Instant Pot Cookbook where I made 240 easy Instant Pot recipes with different variations.
Each recipe has a base recipe and then four different flavor ideas. Check out the Pao de queijo variations in the variation section below.
Let’s make these perfect little appetizers!
Make sure to rate this recipe if you try it out. I can’t wait for you to try them.
What You Need To Make Brazilian Cheese Bread:
Brazilian cheese bread or pão de queijo calls for simple ingredients like tapioca flour, milk and oil. You probably have everything you need on hand already.
Here is what you need to make pão de queijo in an instant pot with substitutions and tips.
Whole Milk: You can use any milk you have on hand.
Vegetable Oil: You can also use coconut oil or olive oil. Just try not to use an extra virgin olive oil as it can change the flavor of the bread.
Salt: I use Kosher salt.
Tapioca Flour: This cannot be substituted with regular all purpose flour. Tapioca flour thickens the cheese bread and gives it a distinct texture. You can find it at most grocery stores in the flour section or next to the cornstarch.
Eggs: Use good quality eggs.
Parmesan Cheese: I like to finely grate my own Parmesan cheese for this recipe. You don’t want too large of pieces or it will not melt properly.
Rosemary: I love the flavor of fresh rosemary. You can also use fresh thyme, tarragon, or sage.
Lemon Zest: The lemon zest adds a delicious brightness to this bread. You can change it up and use orange zest or lime zest if you want to get creative. Make sure to only use the brightly colored zest and not the white pith.
Tools You Will Need:
To make these Brazilian cheese breads in the Instant Pot you will need a couple of tools to help you out. Here is what you need.
High Instant Pot Trivet: This raises the silicone mold off the bottom of the Instant Pot and keeps it from getting the bread wet. You can grab one here.
Silicone Mold: This mold is perfect not only for this recipe but for so many others in the Instant Pot like mini frittatas, cheesecake bites, brownie bites and so many more.
Instant Pot: I use my Instant Pot Duo.
How To Make Brazilian Cheese Bread In The Instant Pot:
Follow these easy steps to make Pão de queijo in the Instant Pot.
- Bring the milk, oil and salt to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Place the liquid in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and add the tapioca flour. Mix on medium speed.
- Add eggs one at a time until fully combined.
- Add the cheese, rosemary and lemon zest.
- Place a spoonful of batter into a silicone mold filling it 3/4 of the way full.
- Cover the mold with a paper towel (this reduced the amount of moisture the bread absorbs) and then with foil.
- Add 1 cup of water into the bottom of the instant pot insert and add a trivet.
- Turn the valve to sealing an cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bites from the mold and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Broil for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Check halfway through and rotate the pan.
You can also customize this recipe by adding in your favorite herbs or spices, such as garlic or basil, to give the cheese bread a unique flavor.
Here are my four variations that are in the No Shop Instant Pot Cookbook. All of them are tried and true tested and delicious.
Additionally, you can try using different types of cheese, such as cheddar or gouda, for a different twist on the traditional recipe.
What To Serve With Brazilian Cheese Bread:
Round out these delicious bites of heaven with a Brazilian dinner party. These are some of my favorite recipes to take your tastes buds to Brazil.
Overall, Brazilian cheese bread made in the instant pot is a quick and easy snack that is sure to be a hit with anyone who tries it.
Instant Pot Brazilian Cheese Bread Recipe:
Brazilian cheese bread in the Instant pot is easy to make and so delicious.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, removed from stem, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Place the milk, oil and salt in a saucepan heated over medium heat. Bring o a simmer.
- Once the liquid is hot, place it in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and add the flour. Mix at medium speed.
- Add one egg at a time.
- Add the Parmesan, rosemary and lemon zest. and stir to combine.
- Place a spoonful of batter into a silicone mold filling it 3/4 of the way up.
- Cover the mold with a paper towel and then with foil.
- Add 1 cup of water into the insert and add the trivet. Place the mold on top of the trivet and seal with the lid.
- Turn the valve to the sealing position and cook on manual, high pressure for 20 minutes. Manually release the pressure by carefully moving the valve to venting.
- Remove the bites from the mold and place them on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Place the bites under the broiler for 3 minutes, or until golden brown, checking halfway through and rotating them.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Aiduy 23 Pieces Accessories for Instant Pot 6,8 Qt, Pressure Cooker Accessories Set - 2 Steamer Baskets, Springform Pan, Stackable Egg Steamer Rack, Egg Bites Mold, 60 Pcs Parchment Paper
Instant Pot Duo 80 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 8-QT, Stainless Steel/Black
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 201mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g