This is my all time favorite Mediterranean salad. It’s full of bright fresh vegetables, sprinkled with the best parmesan cheese and toasted sunflower seeds and tossed with a lemony, red wine vinegar dressing.
I can’t wait for you to try this Mediterranean salad. It’s been on repeat for the last month and it’s good enough for a meal.
Ingredients For My Favorite Salad:
Here is what you need to make this delicious salad.
Arugula or other lettuce: I love the peppery flavor of arugula but you can use a mix of whatever greens you prefer.
Cucumber: adds a delicious crunch.
Pepperonchini: adds a slight zing and vinegary flavor.
Cherry tomatoes: I would recommend buying the vine ripe cherry tomatoes. They are so much sweeter and more flavorful.
Parmesan cheese: grated or shaved work great.
Red bell pepper: another great veggie that adds a little sweetness and crunch.
Sunflower seeds: I like to buy the toasted and salted sunflower seeds.
Homemade croutons: adds a delicious texture and flavor. I prefer making my own croutons. Sometimes the store bought croutons are just too crunchy for my liking.
Shallot: a slightly less pungent onion flavor but packs a punch.
Honey: adds a little sweetness to balance out the acidity.
Lemon zest and juice: the zest adds an extra lemony flavor and the juice a little acidity.
Red wine vinegar: along with the acidity with the lemon the vinegar creates a perfect balance to this dressing.
Olive oil: make sure to use a good quality olive oil. You will be able to taste the quality in the salad.
Salt and pepper: I prefer to use kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Make this salad ahead! You can prep all the ingredients ahead of time and toss together when you are ready to serve. You be dressing can be made up to three days in advance.
Meal Prep Option:
Make this salad as a meal prep. Place all the heavy vegetables on the bottom of a large mason jar, top with lettuce and cover with the lid. Place your dressing in a small plastic container and toss together when you are ready to eat.
What To Serve With Mediterranean Salad:
I love serving salad with almost anything! This salad goes great with some crusty bread or with a grilled protein.
Other Salads To Try:
Blueberry Salad with Peaches and Strawberry Dressing
Mexican Salad With Honey Lime Vinaigrette
Mediterranean Salad Recipe:
My Favorite Mediterranean Salad
Light, crisp and refreshing this will soon become your favorite salad too!
- 1 bag mixed greens lettuce
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 baguette, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced small
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup pepperonchini, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted, salted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Place the lettuce and arugula in a large salad bowl.
- Place the baguette cubes on a sheet tray and toss with olive oil and salt to taste. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, stirring half way through to toast. Set aside.
- Prep the remaining salad ingredients and place in with the lettuce.
- To prepare the dressing combine everything in a mason jar, seal with the lid and shake to combine.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and croutons. Serve immediately.