If you’re in the mood for a comforting and hearty soup, then look no further than this delicious Instant Pot chicken and rice soup. Made with simple ingredients and cooked to perfection in an Instant Pot, this soup is sure to become a new family favorite.
This soup recipe is not only comforting, but quick and easy to make. It tastes like you have been cooking for hours and only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish.
You can serve it up with saltine crackers or try it with some warm, crusty garlic bread.
It also is a great make-one-freeze-one dish. Double the recipe, serve half and freeze the leftovers for a quick and easy meal to have on hand.
You can also gift this soup to friends or family in need by serving them in these plastic soup containers. Pack a sleeve of saltine crackers, some fresh fruit and some warm chocolate chip cookies for the perfect care package.
I have included a frequently asked question section along with step-by-step instructions on how to make this easy family friendly soup.
If you have any questions feel free to comment below. And if you love this soup make sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card section. This helps others to see the recipe too!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is it better to cook chicken before adding to soup?
You can use raw chicken or you can also use a rotisserie chicken.
Rotisserie chicken will require no cooking so if you are short on time this is a great option. Just stir in the rotisserie chicken after cooking the soup.
What rice to use?
You can use any rice you like but it will affect the cooking time.
I like to use wild rice for this recipe because it adds a delicious heartiness to the soup. You can also use white rice or brown rice in this recipe.
White rice will cook a lot faster in the Instant Pot. If you choose to use white rice, reduce the cooking time to 12 minutes and use rotisserie chicken.
Can I make this without an Instant Pot?
If you don’t have a pressure cooker or Instant Pot you can also make this delicious soup on the stovetop.
Follow these easy stovetop directions:
- In a large stockpot add the butter and vegetables and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken breasts, chicken stock, sherry and seasonings.
- Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the pot and shred with two forks.
- Place the chicken back into the soup and stir in the cream of mushroom soup.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Can I make this without cream of mushroom soup?
I personally love cream of mushroom soup, but many people don’t like it. You can make this soup without any cream of mushroom soup it just won’t be as creamy.
If you want to make it without the cream of mushroom soup just leave it out and add a little extra chicken broth at the end to get your desired consistency.
Leaving out the cream of mushroom soup will also make it gluten free.
Either way you make it, this soup is comforting and delicious.
Ingredients For Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup:
To start, you’ll need a few key ingredients.
These include boneless, skinless chicken breasts, long grain wild rice, vegetables such as onions, carrots and celery, sherry cooking wine and chicken broth.
You’ll also want to gather seasonings, such as Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and chopped parsley.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup:
To begin, add the butter or olive oil and vegetables to the Instant Pot and turn on saute mode. Saute the vegetables for 5-7 minutes.
Rinse the rice to remove any dirt and excess gluten.
Next, add in the chicken breast and rice, and sprinkle in your desired seasonings.
Deglaze with the sherry cooking wine and chicken stock.
Close the lid of the Instant Pot and set for 17 minutes on high pressure.
Once the cooking time is up, carefully release the pressure from the Instant Pot. To release the pressure move the valve to the venting position to release the remaining pressure and carefully open the lid.
Remove the chicken breasts and shred them using two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the Instant Pot along with cream of mushroom soup and stir everything together.
To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with additional parsley or any other desired toppings.
This Instant Pot chicken and rice soup is the perfect meal for a cold winter day.
Not only is this soup delicious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make thanks to the convenience of the instant pot.
Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover vegetables you have in the fridge.
Next time you’re in the mood for a comforting and hearty soup, give this instant pot chicken and rice soup a try!
Other Soups To Try:
If you love soup try these other delicious soup recipes along with some of my favorite instant pot soup recipes.
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe:
Warm, comforting and creamy instant pot chicken and rice soup is the perfect weeknight comfort food.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 head celery, diced small
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup sherry cooking wine or sherry wine
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 1 1/2-2 pounds)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 (11 ounce cans) cream of mushroom soup
- Turn the Instant Pot onto saute mode.
- Add the butter, celery, carrots, onion, mushrooms and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the rice off with cold water.
- Add the sherry wine, Italian seasoning, salt, chicken and chicken stock.
- Turn the Instant pot off and then turn on manual high pressure for 17 minutes.
- Manually release pressure by turning the valve to the venting position.
- Remove the chicken and shred with two forks.
- Add the chicken and cream of mushroom soup back into the Instant Pot and stir to combine.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 1048mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 16g