This easy Italian wedding soup with turkey meatballs is full of vegetables, mini meatballs and orzo pasta.
Try this healthier version of an authentic fan favorite Italian wedding soup.
For this healthy version I use vegetable packed turkey meatballs and a bunch of vegetable in the soup.
I shred vegetables like zucchini or carrots for the meatballs to add moisture and an extra nutrient boost. And the best part is the kids can’t even tell.
Make it a Morphing Meal:
You all know how much I utilize morphing meals in the More Momma Supper Club Meal Plans.
For those who don’t know what a morphing meal is we make double of one part of a recipe (typically the protein) and morph it into something entirely different for a different meal later on.
This recipe is also great for meal prepping.
Wedding soup is the perfect meal prep item to make double and take to a friend in need or even freeze for a later use. I love using these containers for the soup.
I also love to make extra meatball mixture to have on hand. You can double that portion of the recipe, bake them off and place half in the freezer for a later use.
You can even use this meatball base recipe to make Baked Turkey Meatballs With Wheels and Healthy Turkey Burger Recipe- Hawaiian Style!
Does Italian Wedding Soup Have Pasta In It?
Typically a traditional Italian Wedding Soup is made with ground pork or beef meatballs, escarole, vegetables and small shaped pasta.
You can use any small shaped pasta you have on hand.
For this version we do add pasta to the soup. I like to use orzo, but you can use any small shaped pasta you enjoy.
Can I use ground beef or pork for the meatballs?
You certainly can! Use whatever type of ground meat you would like.
Ground turkey is just a healthier option. And I love the lighter feel.
How To Make Healthier Soup:
Making soup healthier usually involves a broth base plus lots lots of veggies.
Also the less high fat ingredients you can use the better.
This soup recipe is very simple and straight forward without a lot of extra ingredients.
Plus it’s full of vegetables, lean protein and is made with a broth base. No cream or flour involved!
Most soups call for a miraprox which consists of carrots, onions and celery.
But I like adding extra vegetables like zucchini, yellow squash and even spinach when I have some on hand.
You can add any vegetables you like.
How To Make Easy Italian Wedding Soup:
This soup really is quite easy to make. Start off by making your meatballs and cooking them in a oven.
Next brown the pancetta until golden in a Dutch oven or stockpot.
Next add all your prepped and chopped vegetables and sauté for 5 minutes or so.
Add the chicken stock and the cooked meatballs and bring to a simmer.
Add the orzo and cook until cooked through about 5-7 minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve this soup with some crusty bread or grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Storage and Freezing Tips:
This soup is great the next day!
The longer all the flavors meld the more flavorful it becomes.
It’s also great to freeze. Store in plastic soup containers and freeze for up to 6 months.
Other Delicious Soup Recipes:
If you are a fan of soup, try these other delicious soup recipes.
Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup (Only 3 ingredients)
Traditional Minestrone Soup In The Instant Pot
Tortellini Soup With Only 3 Ingredients
The Best Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
Italian Wedding Soup Recipe:
Italian Wedding Soup
Healthy comfort food! This is the perfect soup to make for your kids.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup zucchini, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup carrots, finely shredded
- 2 teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 16 ounces pancetta
- 4 large carrots, diced small
- 1 head celery, diced small
- 2 zucchini, diced small
- 1 yellow squash, diced small
- 1 white onion, diced small
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, cheese. zucchini, carrots and steak seasoning.
- With clean hands, scoop out a heaping tablespoon of meat mixture to form mini meatballs. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Cook the meatballs in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Preheat a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add the oil and saute the pancetta until golden brown.
- Then add the carrots, celery, zucchini, squash and onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the cooked meatballs.
- When simmering add the pasta and Italian seasoning, and cook for 5-7 minutes or until noodles are cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with parmesan cheese on top and crusty bread if desired.
Comments are closed.