These crispy chicken bao buns with Korean BBQ sauce are the perfect Asian fusion dinner. Serve them at your next get together or for a delicious dinner any night of the week.
Asian fusion might just be my favorite thing to experiment with and these crispy chicken bao buns hit the spot. The bao buns are light and fluffy and are filled with crispy chicken, a delicious Korean style BBQ sauce and then topped with a fresh purple cabbage and carrot.
If you want to try a new unique recipe try these bao buns. You won’t be disappointed.
Ingredients For Crispy Chicken Bao:
Here is what you need to make this dish.
For The Dough:
- All Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Dry Instant Yeast
For The Sauce:
- Hoisin Sauce: Look for this is the Asian food isle.
- Gochujang: You can find this in any major grocery store now in the Asian food isle.
- Crispy Chicken: I like to use frozen chicken tenders.
- Purple Cabbage
- Sriracha Mayo: I buy the pre-made one in the Asian food isle and it’s delii
How To Make Bao Dough:
To make the bao dough combine the yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
Add warm water and milk and mix to combine.
Add the butter and salt and knead for around 10 minutes or until the dough has come off of the sides of the bowl.
Place the dough in a bowl coated with some vegetable oil. Cover the bowl with a towel and let rest for at least 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
How To Cook Bao Buns:
Bao buns are steamed rice typically in a steamer basket. The steam puffs up the buns which create a fluffy light texture.
If you do not have a steamer basket you can make your own by using a large stockpot, a colander and a lid.
You can also use the instant pot to cook Bao buns.
Instant Pot Bao:
Try this recipe out in the Instant Pot! To learn more about how to make bao buns in the Instant Pot check out my Instant Pot Pork Bao Bun Recipe.
Other Delicious Asian Inspired Dishes To Try:
Crispy Chicken Bao Buns With Korean BBQ Sauce Recipe:
Bao stuffed with crisp chicken tossed in a delicious homemade Korean BBQ sauce and topped with Sriracha, shredded cabbage, carrot and cilantro.
For The Dough:
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dry instant yeast
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
For The Korean Chicken:
- 24 ounce package crispy chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons gochujang sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup carrots, julienne
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Sirarcha Mayo
- Make the dough by combining flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Add milk, warm water and butter to a bowl and stir to combine. Add to the flour mixture and stir. Knead on low for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- After the dough has doubled in size knead again slightly and cut into 10 equal pieces. Roll into balls.
- Roll each ball into a flat oval with a rolling pin and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush with oil and then place a small piece of parchment paper on half of the oval. Fold over to cover the paper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for another hour.
- Meanwhile prepare the chicken by cooking according to package directions.
- Combine the hoisin, gochujang, and ketchup in a mixing bowl.
- Cook the buns according to one of the methods below.
- When the buns are almost done toss the hot chicken into the sauce and toss to combine. Slice in small pieces.
- Fill the cooked buns with chicken and garnished of choice.
To Cook the Buns on the stove top:
To Cook the Buns on the stove top bring a large stockpot with 4 cups of water to a simmer over medium heat. Place 3-4 buns on the steamer basket and lower into the pot (make sure the steamer basket bottom is not touching the water. You may need to add a trivet if needed. Place the lid on the pot and steam for 15 minutes.
To Cook The Buns in The Instant Pot:
To Cook the Buns in the Instant Pot add 4 cups of water to the insert and turn on saute mode. Place 3-4 buns on the steamer basket and lower into the insert (make sure the steamer basket bottom is not touching the water. You may need to add a trivet if needed. Place the lid on the pot (do not seal or turn on any different functions, it will steam on saute mode with the lid covering it) and let steam for 15 minutes. *you can also use a large stockpot lid if needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Duo 80 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 8-QT, Stainless Steel/Black
Aiduy 23 Pieces Accessories for Instant Pot 6,8 Qt, Pressure Cooker Accessories Set - 2 Steamer Baskets, Springform Pan, Stackable Egg Steamer Rack, Egg Bites Mold, 60 Pcs Parchment Paper